live • learn • relax • work • heal • reflect
This original design has since evolved organically to its final form which is still in keeping with its original purpose of creating buildings from earth’s elements and shapes that are an ode to nature’s beauty.
There are two main types of buildings:
– The classroom pavilion type has load-bearing walls from rammed earth, dividing the building into 3 classrooms. The outer walls are made of adobe. Glass windows framed by recycled local hardwood, glass bottles and washing machine windows bring natural light into the classrooms. Cupboards and shelves are all integrated in an adobe wall curving around the sanitary block. The curved contours of the bamboo roof structure mirror the mountains at the horizon of the site.
– The sala pavilion type is used for common functions such as the assembly hall and the canteen. Columns consist of bamboo bundles reaching up to the bamboo canopy from their stone foundations, giving a feeling of walking through a majestic bamboo forest.
The entire school has been built from local earth and local bamboo that has been naturally treated to withstand the elements. Organic vegetables and rice will be grown on school property. Environmentally friendly waste water treatment and food waste recycling producing organic fertilizers and biogas for cooking, round up the picture of an environmentally friendly school with a negligible carbon footprint.
Panyaden is a private bilingual school with a Buddhist approach that will accommodate 375 students. The students will be the ambassadors to introduce green living into the lives of their communities. In addition to the Thai and native English speaking teachers, they will be supervised by experts in various arts, creativity as well as traditional wisdom such as local agricultural methods, specialists in tropical forest plants, cloth weaving and northern cuisine etc. Panyaden School aims to deliver a holistic education that integrates Buddhist principles and green awareness with the highly regarded, International Primary Curriculum.Project Data
- Project: Panyaden School, Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Client: Mrs. Yodphet Sudsawad
- Architect: 24H > architecture – Creative Owners: Boris Zeisser, Maartje Lammers
- Design: 2010
- Construction: 2010-2011
- Completion: 2011
- Floor Area: 5000m2